Search The MPT Archives

Friday, February 22, 2008

MPT 2007 #2 - Showdown at Showboat (7/5/2007)

(originally posted 7/9/2007, by Harv 29)

The Showboat title was hotly contested with the largest field in MPT history. That with the fact that we were playing on an actual table and not a mattress made it a memorable event.

The participants:
  • Harv29 - your tournament director
  • mtohio - your gracious suite host
  • betdponies - your previous champion
  • tss777 - your resident poker expert
  • rowanb - America's guest
  • "scarpa" - friend of mtohio's
  • bigfus - poker hopeful

The Results:
  1. tss777
  2. rowanb
  3. "scarpa"
  4. Harv29
  5. bigfus
  6. mtohio
  7. betdponies
As usual, the initial hour is a feeling out process, and loaded with alcohol, mtohio was doing alot of feeling. Feeling that Betdponies was bluffing, mtohio called Betdponies's all-in in round 4 and disposed of our past champion and claimed a $10 bounty. But he would not be long to celebrate as tss777 eliminated mtohio 16 minutes later in round 5.

With the blinds and antes getting unrealistically huge, bigfus had to make a stand and went out to tss277 in round 6. I missed a great opportunity to possibly cripple tss777 by folding a 55 after he went all-in ahead of me. I felt that it was a race at best, but I should have raced with me being ahead (tss777 admitted that I was actually way ahead as he bet with 44). Trying to make up for that, I go all-in with my A-8 of clubs. After probing me for information, tss777 assesses that he has the right odds to call and shows me his K-2 of clubs. Although I was ahead, a king on the flop and no further help put me away in fourth place.

Scarpa was struggling as tss777 and rowanb were about equal in chips. Scarpa made a desperation double up late and was up against it again when tss777 went all-in in front of him. scarpa called and rowanb immediately called. Rowanb showed AK and tss77 had A7 and I believe scarpa had 34. Somewhere along the lines a 7 came out and of course AK lost (for those in the Kill Phil thread, you know what I'm talking about).

Tss777 was the overall champion with second place going to rowanb, since he had more chips than scarpa. I'm sure rowanb and or mtohio have photos they can add.

I'm hoping to get two more MPT events in before the Tournament of Champions final in December.

No comments: