Search The MPT Archives

Friday, February 22, 2008

MPT 2007 #1 - Brannigan at Bally's (3/17/2007)

(originally published 3/20/2007, by Harv29)

Well, we had pretty much the same contestants as last time, just one player short.

The participants:
  • betdponies
  • Mrs. betdponies
  • bigfus
  • rowanb
  • harv29

The Results:
  1. betdponies
  2. harv29
  3. bigfus
  4. Mrs. betdponies
  5. rowanb

We were in lovely room 743 of the Dennis Tower at Bally's Atlantic City. It was a smaller room and we did have to "borrow" a few chairs from rowanb's room, which happened to be 781. Good thing no one was coming out of the elevators while we were moving the furniture around. . .

Play was a bit tighter than last time, perhaps because the players knew each other better or perhaps due to lack of quality cards. Everyone made it past the first hour fine except my wife, who while stepping on a stool to get a better picture of the action, fell off and injured her knee, leg, ankle and foot.

I don't remember all of the elimination hands, perhaps the other players do, but this time rowanb was the first to hit the sheet, I think his JJ got taken out by betdponies, who I believe had ace high and hit it in "door number 2". Betdponies then proceeded to eliminate his wife shortly after that leaving the same final three as last time, harv29, bigfus and betdponies.

Betdponies again was the large stack and apparently bigfus was tired of getting her big blinds stolen by betdponies and went all-in. Although she had me covered, I made a gutsy call with my 8-3 s and was relieved to see her 5-3. My 8 high held up and I doubled through bigfus, who was busted out by betdponies on the next hand.

On our first heads up hand, betdponies goes all-in. I peek down at my cards and see a king. I say I've got one good card. Everyone laughs and I squeeze out the other card, it is another king! I immediately call and show my kings. Betdponies is not happy as he shows me his 9-7 of clubs.

So we go to the flop, rowanb has the hand on film, but "door #2" was definitely a 9 and the "door #3" was a club.

Turn card, another club. Betdponies's outs have just increased.

Betdponies deals the river card face down. My wife peeks and it and replaces it face down, bad sign for me. Betdponies flips it over and it is. . .

ANOTHER FRICKIN' CLUB! He hits runner-runner club and kills my pocket kings for the first MPT of the year! (And I didn't even get a chop of the cash like bigfus did last tournament).

So betdponies repeats as MPT champion and adds another trophy to his mantle. He was also the terminator, as he eliminated every player in the tournament. I think next tournament we will have a bounty on his head. . .

I'd love for a few more people to come out to the next MPT and try to unseat the current champion! It might be a longer tournament though. . .

Thanks for everyone showing up and playing and I look forward to the next MPT, to be announced. . .

Forgot to mention that betdponies took down $85 for winning the tournament and I received $40 for second.

rowanb was busted out at 11:39 in Round 5
Mrs. betdponies was busted out at 11:44 in Round 5
bigfus was busted out at 11:53 in Round 6
harv29 was busted out at 12:00 in Round 6

The end comes quick in the MPT. . .

No comments: