Search The MPT Archives

Friday, February 22, 2008

MPT 2006 #2 - Trump Plaza (12/27/2006)

(originally published 12/31/2006, by Harv29)

The final stop for the Mattress Poker Tour had a decent turn out and was fun for everyone.

The participants:
  • RowanB (do I have a flush if they are all black?)
  • betdponies (I will beat you with my 6-4s)
  • betdponies wife (I'd rather be playing video poker)
  • bigfus (don't look at my poker face)
  • tss777 (what did I get involved in?)
  • harv29 (your tournament director and host, can you all really see my cards in the mirror behind me?)
The Results:
  1. betdponies
  2. bigfus
  3. harv29
  4. tss777
  5. rowanB
  6. Mrs. betdponies

The tournament was held in room 1604 of Trump Plaza. This was an interesting room, as it was handicap accessible. The door had two peepholes, one about 5 feet off the ground and the other about half way up. That led to interesting comments as we checked for any new arrivals. . .

Since the tournament was scheduled to only last 2 hours, the first couple rounds were important for chip accumulation. There were not too many exciting hands early on, although I limped in with a 9-7s and thought I lost to Rowanb's Q high flush, except for the fact that he had one spade and one club.

betdponies' wife was the first out and she made a minimum raise with her Q-Q. I asked what the minimum raise I could make, since I wasn't sure if I could make it $600 or $1200. (tss777 KNEW I had a good hand after I asked this question). After making the minimum raise, betdponies' wife went all-in and I had to call with my A-A. I believe I hit an ace on the flop and it was quickly over for her.

Rowanb was to follow shortly and he didn't win too many hands and as he reported, pushed all-in with his 8-10s. Bigfus had to call with her A-A and ran Rowanb out in 5th.

tss777 was next to go, I believe he went all-in against betdponies' bet and found himself behind with his A-6s against 2-2. I believe it was a deuce on the turn that ended tss777's night.

I was the short stack and was getting blinded and soon anted out as well. I looked down at 3-3 and decided that I'd have to make my stand with it. It was really a 'must call' for betdponies and he showed his 6-4s. The flop didn't hit either of us and I was still ahead on the turn, except that it gave betdponies two more outs, as if a three came on the river, he would make a straight. There was no joy in Mudville as I (as the dealer) dropped a 6 down on the river sending me to the rail.

That left betdponies and bigfus to contend for the title and money. The prize split was $100/$50 and betdponies suggested a chop (even though he had a decent chip lead), which bigfus agreed. With the final two players, I unveiled the new prize, a 6" trophy with a black chip engraved for the MPT 2006 Trump Plaza champion (pictures to follow). This we could not chop (as I did not bring a saw) and after a few hands, bigfus felt she had to make her stand with 7-5 (or 6) or hearts and betdponies called with 8-4 of hearts. Eight high held up and the winner of the Trump Plaza MPT event was betdponies.

So congratulations to betdponies!

Looking ahead to 2007, we anticipate the MPT making stops at Harrah's Atlantic City, Bally's Atlantic City, Showboat Atlantic City, Caesar's Atlantic City, Rowanb's shore house in Stone Harbor (possibly a 2-day event), a Las Vegas hotel TBD and the Tournament of Champions possibly to be held at Trump Plaza. Feel free to contact me for details.

Thank you to all the participants and I look forward to seeing you return for next year's tour and new players to join.

No comments: