Search The MPT Archives

Friday, February 22, 2008

MPT 2007 Tournament of Champions (12/27/2007)

(originally posted 1/3/2008, by Harv29)

The participants:
  • harv29 - Host and Tournament Director
  • betdponies - Two Time MPT Champion, including last year's ToC
  • rowanb - hoping to take advantage of the absence of PoY point leader tss777
  • sweeney - second place finisher from Event #3 returns for his second MPT event
  • Mrs. betdponies - 3rd place in October earned a spot in this year's ToC
  • bigfus - cashing in on her cash in last year's end of year extravaganza

The Results:
  1. betdponies
  2. Mrs. betdponies
  3. harv29
  4. sweeney
  5. bigfus
  6. rowanb

Unfortunately it was a small field for the Main Event but it was still quite festive. Since my wife wasn't there to take hand accounts, I did the best I could.

It was like most MPT events, one hour of chip accumulation and then a pushfest. Well, almost like that. Rowanb pushed all-in on hand #14 and Betdponies folded. Then in hand #21, I pushed all-in with A-6 o/s after a flop of A-K-6. Mrs. Betdponies called me with A-7 o/s and the turn and river came up 9-5.

Either in hand #22 or #23, Mrs. Betdponies was all-in with A-4 o/s against Sweeney’s 8-8. A generous ace on the flop helped Mrs. Betdponies double up.

Later on in hand #31 I made a huge lay down. Sweeney raised pre-flop for something like $300 and the flop came out something like 5-5-9 with two clubs with me holding AcKc. Sweeney opened for $1000 and I only had $1475 remaining. If I called, I knew I’d be going all-in. Did I want to bet all my chips on a draw? I decided to let it go, figuring Sweeney on two pair. . .

Hand #34 saw Rowanb go all-in with Q-10 o/s against Sweeney’s K-5 o/s and the cards came out 3d-2d-9s-Ac-4h giving Sweeney an unnecessary straight and keeping Rowanb’s streak of either going out first or finishing second intact.

Hand #36 saw Mrs. Betdponies severely cripple Bigfus, I think it was A-J against A-Q and then the next hand Betdponies busted Bigfus out.

Hand #44 saw Mrs. Betdponies go all-in with 10d9c against Sweeney’s 3d3c. The flop of 5d-Qc-6d was a glimmer of hope as was the Kd on the turn and the final nail was the Qd on the river giving Mrs. Betdponies the higher flush.

Hand #48 was possibly the monster suck-out of the event, with Sweeney going all-in with AdAh against Betdponies’s QdJc. There was a friendly flop of Qc-2h-9d. The turn was even friendlier with a Jh, giving Betdponies two pair. The river sent Sweeney packing with the Qs giving Betdponies a full house. It was just a few hands later that Mrs. Betdponies busted me out on the bubble.

We were now head’s up with Betdponies and Mrs. Betdponies (who was in trouble most of the tournament, bearly surviving my all-in win on hand #21. After a few hands, I think it ended on hand #53:

Betdponies Jd5d, Mrs. Betdponies 10s8h

Flop: 7c-Js-10d

Betdponies flops top pair, Mrs. Betdponies flops second pair with a gutshot straight draw.

Turn: 9d

Mrs. Betdponies is elated, she has made her straight, but wait, Betdponies now has a flush draw.

River: Ad!

Betdponies has made his flush and wins the MPT MAIN EVENT! He remains undefeated on the pillowtop! Congratulations!

Unfortunately, his two wins happened with the smallest fields, so the MPT Player of the Year is: TSS777!

Tot Pts Rank

20 TSS777
19 Betdponies
18 Harv29
17 Baccarat King
16 Rowanb
15 Bigfus
14 Mrs. Betdponies
12 Sweeney
9 Dave
4 MP
3 Janek13
1 "E"

He is a worthy PotY, with two wins in the two events he played with 7 of the 11 possible eliminations. Who knows what would have happened if the Baccarat King showed up. . .

Thanks for everyone for making the MPT possible. I look forward for the 2008 season!

No comments: